While everyone knows that smoking is a very injurious habit, the chain-smokers tend to overlook its disastrous consequences. Smoking is one of the major causes of respiratory disease, cardiovascular disease, and cancer, but also affects the overall oral and dental health of an individual.
Smoking Affecting Oral Health
While smoking does not escalate the risk of cavities, it does bring a lot of damage to the gums, as well as, the other areas of the mouth. Here are some of the major consequences of smoking on oral health:
- Smoking can lead to tooth loss.
- Smoking can result in oral cancers.
- Smoking elevates gum disease.
- Smoking can lead to inflammation of the salivary glands.
Apart from the dangerous effects of smoking mentioned above, here are certain factors which smokers must consider:
- Smoking can lead to halitosis (bad breath).
- Smoking results in stains on the teeth, affecting the facial aesthetics.
- Smoking can result in loss of smell and taste.
- Smoking can result in black hairy tongue, that turns yellow, green, black or brown.
- Smoking can lead to constant tartar buildup.
Tooth Loss due to Smoking? Get Dental Implants
If you have lost a single tooth, multiple teeth or even all of your teeth due to smoking then you must be having trouble in chewing your favorite foods. At this juncture, the best solution is to consider dental implants in Chicago. These advanced treatments have especially been designed to address the missing teeth issues caused by various reasons such as tooth decay, accidental injury, gum disease, poor lifestyle habits and so on. Dental implants are typically artificial teeth placed into your jawbone ensuring that you do face troubles while eating, smiling and speaking.
However, if you want to ensure that your implant is a lasting success then it is highly recommended to cease smoking at least seven days prior to your implant treatment. Leaving smoking one week before the surgery would enable the enhanced levels of blood viscosity and platelet adhesion. Additionally, it is advisable that a patient after the implant surgery must avoid smoking and tobacco for at least 2 months to allow proper healing of the bone.
Here are the many benefits of dental implants that you would derive after your surgery:
- Enhanced facial structure: After an implant surgery, you would observe an enhanced beauty on your face. As implants look and feel like natural teeth, you will not even realize that you ever had missing teeth.
- Enhanced ability to chew your favorite foods: With new tooth implants in Chicago, your ability to chew would enhance to a great extent. Unlike the traditional denture, implants will cause you any trouble while eating.
- Enhanced confidence: As implants restore your smile, speaking and eating ability, you will find a new confidence emerging in you to live your live more positively.
- Long-term implants: Unlike removable dentures that require messy adhesives for cleaning, implants are permanent teeth that require the same dental care like the natural teeth. All you need to do is regular brushing, flossing and visiting your dentist on periodical basis.
Whether you have recently lost some of your teeth or may be long time ago due to your poor lifestyle habits then trusting only advanced tooth implants in Chicago dental implant treatments is a trusted solution. Embark towards a healthy life.